Friday, March 18, 2011

Man Bites Dog (1992)






Um, WOW! I can certainly can see why this movie is in the 1001 movies everyone should see before they die.  I literally just got done watching this movie and rather than wait and reflect on it for a bit I just have to blog about this while it's still fresh.

Man Bites Dog is a film that is set up around a documentary film crew that follows around a serial killer while he murders pretty much anyone he wants.  The sheer madness and complete disregard he has is something that at times is uneasy to watch.  I thought Dexter was scary, but this guy (Benoit) is beyond frightening. I don't want to give away too many details of this movie because I don't want to ruin any of the surprise or tension that this movie is exceptional at delivering.  While it is clumsy at times, the overall effect is pulled off with superb cut scenes of bodies being thrown into a quarry, etc, etc.  There is so much this film has to offer as long as you try not to take it too literal.  Yes, it does show him killing small children, women and the like...but I rather enjoyed this film as something I've never really seen before.  At times it's humorous and almost Monty Python-esque with the amount of blood splattering and dialogue.  So how twisted am I?

The film is subtitled and was filmed entirely in French and black and white.  So for those of you that don't enjoy reading while also watching a movie, this may not be for you.  This movie is an exceptional example of why I am thoroughly enjoying this task of watching the 1001 movies.  I never would have considered this movie otherwise and I am happy to have seen it.  So if you have Netflix and want to sit back and watch an insane amount of murder and mayhem that takes off at a running pace from the very opening scene, then add Man Bites Dog to your instant play queue...I'd be very interested to hear what people have to say regarding this movie.

Image Accessed on March 18th 2001 from: http://www.altfg.com/blog/film-reviews/man-bites-dog-poelvoorde-belvaux-bonzel/

No comments:

Post a Comment