Sunday, March 13, 2011

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)


Where do I begin with this movie? First off, I love a good musical and this movie provides everything one could ever hope for in one.  Extravagant sets, catchy songs, witty dialogue and amazing dance numbers with the joy of it being in Technicolor!  Do I think that this movie deserves to be on the 1001 movie list? Yes, indeed I do for sheer enjoyment and previous mentioned qualities. With that being said I'm not sure that the storyline is one to pass down along the ages.

At first glance the movie seems harmless enough, with a gentleman seeking to find a wife.  Once he does, they head back home only for the wife to find out that he lives with his 6 other brothers.  These 6 brothers are rather crass and testosterone levels run rampant amongst them and she sets it upon herself to tame the brothers.  One of the things she tasks them to do is a community barn raising. That's right, no typo there, a barn raising.

The barn raising scene is potentially one of the best dance numbers I have ever watched in a musical.  I can only imagine how much time it took to get the timing down for the 18 people involved in the dancing. It's nothing short of amazing and is worth seeing the movie just for this one particular dance number.

To make a long story short I will skip to the main problem I have regarding this movie.  After the barn raising the 6 brothers realize that the women they are interested in are already spoken for.  With this information they then plot to kidnap the girls in the dead of winter so that they will be stuck with them and thus render them incapable of being able to resist the charm of the brothers while being stranded until spring....Preposterous I know, but the movie still manages to charm the viewer and leave you with a sense of happiness, however messed up it may be that you enjoy the ending to the movie.

I do recommend that people see this movie if they are looking for a popcorn movie short on substance, but filled with dazzling colors and singable songs.  Makes it seem like I hated this movie, but I really did enjoy.  For these few people that read my blog I'd love to hear what you have to say.  Any thoughts?

Image Accessed on 3-13-11 from: http://alsolikelife.com/shooting/2009/06/973-115-seven-brides-for-seven-brothers-1954-stanley-donen/

No comments:

Post a Comment