Sunday, February 20, 2011

Recovery!

Let me apologize to anyone that may be reading my blog for the gibberish that was posted yesterday.  Apparently I don't have the kinks quite worked out for mobile blogging...all in due time I suppose.

As some of you may remember, yesterday was the start of the AMC Best Picture Showcase.  Although I am a little tired today and can't seem to stop talking about what I've seen, I figured I should share here.

My favorite so far would have to be a tie between 127 Hours and The Fighter.  As far as camera work is concerned 127 Hours takes the cake.  The interesting views from inside a Nalgene and Camelbak are cleverly done and the acting by James Franco is phenomenal.  I can't imagine how an actor can illicit such emotion in that situation. Wherever this was filmed I want to go.  It's absolutely beautiful.

The Fighter will blow your socks off.  If Christian Bale doesn't win for Best Supporting Actor then I will be extremely disappointed.  The story is one of heartbreak and of hope and overcoming a family's drama and problems. 

If you haven't seen Toy Story 3 then run down to your local Family Video and rent a copy.  Pixar is in excellent form with this movie and makes everyone one of us adults want to pull out our old toys and give them some love.  Mine in particular would have to be Teddy Ruxpin.  Anyone remember that cassette playing bear?

True Grit...I have to admit that I was extremely apprehensive to see this movie.  I love the original and almost felt like it was a slap in the face to John Wayne.  HOWEVER, I retract that previous opinion.  After seeing this it reminded me how great of an actor Jeff Bridges can be. It would be a sad disservice if I didn't mention how great Hailee Steinfeld was as Mattie Ross.  I hope she wins Best Supporting Actress as the sassy, steadfast girl avenging her fathers death.

The Kids are All Right is another great example of how an excellent story and superb acting by 2 of Hollywood's leading ladies can lead to a Best Picture nomination.  Annette Bening has always been one of my favorite actresses and she doesn't disappoint. 

That's all for now really.  Next weekend the lineup is exceptional and I will be posting that list as we get closer to the 26th.  As of right now I will be going to watch Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I'm a sucker for a musical so I imagine I'll have good things to write about this 1001 movie.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend! Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment